Friday, May 25, 2012

More endings and new beginnings.

Yesterday was our last full day in Ireland, and only a pinch of it was in Belfast. Wow. I’m a real bundle of emotions right now.

We woke up ridiculously early on Thursday so we could grab a cab to the train station and make our way to Dublin for our return flight. Wait, did I mention we were taking the train to Dublin. Oh yeah. We’re taking the train (big smile).

I’ve never ridden on a train before, and it was quite an experience. Looking out our window we had a great view of a beautiful Irish countryside, the sun shining through the clouds, glimpses of the ocean… The majestic beauty of God’s earth was there for the viewing as it wizzed past us on our two hour ride. I slept most of the way. Yeah, I’d like to say I was riveted by the beautiful scenery, but really I was just sleepy. Move over rain-on-a-tin-roof, the peaceful rocking of a fast moving train is now the absolute best sleeping environment I know of. Of course, Sam saw my baby-like sleeping state as a real Polaroid moment, and made sure to get several shots of me as I was dead to the world. What are friends for?

Another cab ride later we acquainted ourselves with our hotel room for the night. This place was just a bit more swanky than the hostels we were used to, but, we kept in mind that we were only here for one night and tried not to get too attached. That afternoon we were faced with one soul mission: deliver the information we had gathered during our two and a half week occupation of Belfast to our employers. Since we were without phones in the foreign land, we went to meet our contact at the Dublin airport after only sending few Facebook messages. This was not our usual contact that we had met with earlier in the trip, but another worker in the organization. We had never seen him, and he had never met us. So, with only a brief description and a general meeting place picked out, we headed to make the drop off.

We got to the airport and did the only thing we knew that would guarantee us finding our man: we started randomly walking around looking for an American looking guy wearing khaki shorts. Full-proof. And, thankfully, it actually worked. As we reached the end of a particular sidewalk, we passed a big guy who kinda pointed at us and said “you fellas looking for me?” Indeed, it was our man. We made the drop, made quick friends with a good-natured guy originally from Arizona, and ended up bumming a ride back to the hotel.

I tell ya, it was so good to talk to somebody who sounded like me. Well, remotely like me. It quickly came up in the conversation that I have the most country accent on this particular continent. Even when I try to fake a European accent it comes out country. I can’t escape it. And, I’m perfectly find with that.

We enjoyed talking with our new buddy, and the short hang out time turned into going to eat together. We started this trip by eating at a wonderful Portuguese style restaurant called Nando’s with the our main contact, and guess where we ended it? At Nando’s, getting to know yet another friend in the ministry. Coincidence? Me thinks not. Endings and beginnings my friends, endings and beginnings.

This trip has been great in a lot of ways. There were some really tough times that I had to deal with. Sam has his moments, but those are for him to muse over. I know that I learned a few things about God, a lot of things about myself, and a whole lot of things about a wonderful culture that I never knew anything about before. I don’t dare decide how I actually feel about this trip yet. I’ll have to wait till I’ve been back a few days, and then take some time to process everything that’s happened. Reading back over my own blogs will help a good bit I think.

I do know for sure that God has blessed me and Sam both tremendously. We had a great opportunity, and good will come from it. We started this trip with great expectations, and now we are both ending it with expectations even greater. The work that we’ve done will make the way for the Kingdom of God to spread. That’s intense. For the time being, that’s how I feel about this trip right there: I feel like I’ve been used by God. I’m so excited to be going back home, and to see my family. I’m very excited to get back to work Dry Creek camp for the summer, because that’s another adventure for both me and Sam get to start as soon as we get back. But, I can leave this country knowing that God used me. He just finished using me in Ireland, and now He’s going to begin using me again. I’m cool with that.

 -Ethan Bossier
Houston, TX. Almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment