Monday, May 7, 2012

Tonto, we're not in Louisiana anymore.


Not to state the obvious, but it’s a totally different country over here.

As soon as we landed in Belfast yesterday my analytical mind started looking for differences. First off, I noticed the people. They just flat out look European. Frankly, I’m not quite sure exactly how to describe what that looks like, but I know what I’m looking at. Think of almost any show or movie where there is a token European guy, and then imagine that everybody you see looks like that and you’ll have a close idea.

Other, more obvious things are coming to my attention also. They drive on the left side of the road over here. I expected it, so it wasn’t all that weird. That is, until we’re walking near an intersection and I see a vehicle and where you’d expect to be the driver’s seat I see a very small child. I did a double take before I remembered what the deal was.

I’ve also developed a theory as to how the city of Belfast developed its name. I’m no expert on linguistics and name histories, but I’m beginning to suspect that in Scots-Gaelic, or some other tongue that is indigenous to this region the word ‘bell’ must mean ‘to travel’, or ‘to drive’. And, because there is no other way to describe the local’s driving style, the capitol was named “bell-fast”, or Belfast. It is very appropriate. Don’t get me wrong, I never felt in great danger, but if he came over to the states, the taxi driver that got us from the airport to our hotel would make waves on the underground street-racing scene.

The back of the toilet is built into the wall. All that sticks out is the actual seat. This intrigues me. When people talk about pounds and pence, they aren’t referring to your weight or your jeans. McDonalds here is way different than in the states. Still fast food, but with a very European kind of sophistication. 

It’s very cold here also. I brought warm clothes, so I should be ok, but the weather made my run this morning a little ridiculous. Besides being chilly to start with, the uphill half of my route was easier than the downhill portion, because while going uphill I had the wind at my back. After I turned around and started downhill, I had the wind in my face, which made for more resistance than the downward grade of the hill, but the icy wind also made my nose run and affected my breathing. I came back to the hostel as a stiff, oxygen-deprived man-cicle. But, it was an American made man-cicle!

The people we’ve met are nice, and after overcoming our jet lag, we’ve started meeting and forming relationships. Slowly but surely, we will soon have an opportunity to make an impact in this country.

I had to stop myself this morning as I reflected in the shower (a very fine place to reflect on one’s life, no matter what country one is in). I got my head a little too deep in the situation and started to forget the mission. I caught myself planning a vacation instead of looking for opportunities to spread God’s love. I had to take an inventory of a few things I knew to be ultimately true:

“Your name is Ethan Bossier. You are in Belfast, Ireland. You are here for a reason. God brought you here for something specific. Whether He wants you to impact the country, or let the country impact you, you must keep a focused mind or you will fail. He is faithful.”

I think I’m gonna be ok. There will be challenges to face, but I have a specific purpose, a good partner, and God will compensate for my stupidity. He does back home, so why shouldn’t He over here?

Things Sam has had to tell me so far:
“You are so politically incorrect.”
“Yes, we are Protestant, but don’t tell people that.”
 “They don’t have Wal-Mart over here.”
“Yes, it is always cold and rainy here.”
“Just because you grew up in Mansfield doesn’t mean you can say whatever you want.”
“Mountain Dew is considered an energy drink over here.”

- Ethan Bossier
Day 2 in Belfast

No comments:

Post a Comment